When Is the Best Time To Replace My Siding in Ohio?
Replacing siding isn’t something people tend to get too excited about. But it’s one of the most important things you can do to improve your home’s appearance and protect it from wind, moisture, rapid temperature changes, mold, and more. Good siding also holds up in extreme weather conditions, including storms, high winds, and hail, and some types offer fire resistance.
APCO offers a range of quality siding products, including:
When customers ask about the best time to install new siding on their Central Ohio home, we recommend having the work done in the fall.
Why Fall is the Best Time To Replace Siding
Spring and summer are popular for home improvements and renovations, but autumn is best for siding replacement. Why should you opt to replace siding in the fall instead of the other three seasons?
- Summer: During Ohio’s hot summers, substandard vinyl siding risks melting in extremely high temperatures. This can also cause the siding to stretch and expand, resulting in buckling when it bumps up against house features like window casings.
- Winter: In extreme cold, vinyl siding can contract and become brittle, making it more likely to crack or break. When temperatures drop below 50 degrees Fahrenheit, the panels can contract and be nailed on too tightly.
- Spring: As cool winter temperatures progress to warmer spring ones, Central Ohio begins to see more rainy days. That excess moisture can expose a home’s sheathing and walls to mold if there are significant delays in the project.
Despite these risks, many people still choose to replace their siding in the spring or summer. Fortunately, that can work to your benefit.
- Siding installers are often less busy in the fall, so you can usually get the work done at a time convenient for your schedule.
- Many suppliers look to clear out their existing siding inventory, so you can often score deals on materials.
- Replacing siding in the fall means your home’s fully insulated when the cold weather returns. You might even lower your heating bills throughout the winter!
Signs You Need To Replace Your Home’s Siding
How do you know it’s time to replace your home’s siding? These seven signs can guide the way.
- Increased maintenance needs: If you’re spending more money than you used to on maintaining your aging siding, it can be worth it to replace it now.
- Loose or missing siding: Moisture from rain and snow can get underneath the loose or missing siding, meaning you’ll have two problems to solve and pay for.
- Pest damage: Termites and other pests can damage siding and the underlying structure.
- Fading: Faded siding may not affect its function, but replacing it can improve your home’s curb appeal.
- Cracking, buckling, or warping: Damaged siding doesn’t look great, and if the damage is widespread, it’s likely no longer protecting your home as it should.
- Rotting: If your home has wood siding, it can eventually start to rot from being exposed to the elements year in and year out.
- Bubbling or blistering finish: You can sometimes refinish siding with bubbles and blisters, but a better long-term solution is to replace it with a more resilient and durable material.
Choose APCO for Quality Siding Replacement
Whether you have damaged siding that requires replacement or you’re ready to trade in your aging siding for a new look for your home, now is the time to get started with your siding replacement!
For over 60 years, APCO has been the leading provider of exterior home improvement services for central Ohio homeowners, including siding. We’d be happy to help with your siding replacement project.
We install quality products made to last, so your home will look beautiful for years to come!
To learn more about the siding options available for your home, call us at (614) 254-5489 or contact us online for a free estimate.