Install Energy-Efficient Windows in the Columbus, OH Area
Did you know that inefficient windows are one of the easiest ways to lose energy in your Columbus area home? At APCO, we want you to be completely satisfied with your window selection, which is why we’ve put together a guide to window energy efficiency. When you need help determining the most efficient windows for your home, turn to the window installation and replacement experts at APCO.
Simply call us at the number at the top of this page, or contact us online, to get the conversation started about energy-efficient window replacement in the Columbus, Ohio area.
THE NATIONAL FENESTRATION RATING COUNCIL
The National Fenestration Rating Council (NFRC) operates a voluntary program that tests, certifies, and labels windows, doors, and skylights based on their energy performance ratings. The NFRC label provides a reliable way to determine a window’s energy properties and to compare products. The NFRC label can be found on all ENERGY STAR® qualified window, door, and skylight products, but ENERGY STAR bases its qualification only on U-factor and solar heat gain coefficient ratings—described in detail below.
The National Fenestration Rating Council is the only federally recognized window website that reports window U-factors and Solar Heat Gain Coefficients. Feel free to contact APCO and we will help you through the process of finding energy-efficient windows.
How Do Windows Gain & Lose Heat?
Some common ways windows experience heat gain and loss is through:
- Direct conduction through the glass or glazing, frame, and window.
- The radiation of heat into a house (typically from the sun) and out of a house from room-temperature objects, such as people, furniture, and interior walls.
- Air leakage through and around them.
Learn more about heat gain and heat loss here. Or, get help from an APCO professional when determining the right type of windows for your Ohio residence.
ENERGY EFFICIENCY RATINGS
Understanding how to improve your energy efficiency can be difficult. When looking for ways to improve the efficiency of your Columbus area home’s windows, consider the follow energy efficiency ratings:
- U-factor – Measures how well a product prevents heat from escaping. The rate of heat loss is indicated in terms of the U-factor (U-value) of a window assembly. U-Factor ratings generally fall between 0.20 and 1.20. The lower the U-value, the greater a window’s resistance to heat flow and the better its insulating value.
- Solar Heat Gain Coefficient (SHGC) – Measures how well a product blocks heat caused by sunlight. The SHGC is the fraction of incident solar radiation admitted through a window (both directly transmitted and absorbed) and subsequently released inward. SHGC is expressed as a number between 0 and 1. The lower a window’s solar heat gain coefficient, the less solar heat it transmits in the house.
- Air Leakage – Measures the rate of air movement around a window, door, or skylight in the presence of a specific pressure difference across it. It’s expressed in units of cubic feet per minute per square foot of frame area (cfm/ft2). A product with a low air leakage rating is tighter than one with a high air leakage rating.
ENERGY STAR QUALIFIED WINDOWS
Windows help to protect you and tour Columbus area home from the elements—just like a winter coat. But like a winter coat, you should pick the windows that make the most sense for the Ohio climate. While some windows are better at keeping you warm, others excel at keeping you cool. When scheduling window replacement with APCO, consider the following factors recommended by ENERGY STAR®.
Energy-Efficient Window Installation & Replacement in Columbus, OH
APCO was founded over 50 years ago and has been a leading exterior contractor in the Columbus area ever since. We offer energy-efficient window solutions throughout Columbus and the surrounding areas.
APCO offers energy-efficient windows throughout the following cities and their surrounding areas: Bexley, Columbus, Dublin, Gahanna, Grove City, Lewis Center, Pickerington, Powell, Reynoldsburg, Upper Arlington, and Westerville.
Ready to improve the efficiency in your home? Contact the installation professionals at APCO to learn more about how you can benefit from ENERGY STAR windows in the Columbus area.
APCO reserves the right to terminate this promotion at any time.
More About Efficiency
APCO Sells ENERGY STAR Qualified Windows
The NFRC is a non-profit organization that administers a uniform, independent rating and labeling system for the energy performance of windows. The Department of Energys ENERGY STAR program relies on NFRC tests results to determine whether a window can qualify for an ENERGY STAR label. All ENERGY STAR labeled windows and skylights qualify for tax credit. Read More