Exterior Maintenance to Prepare for Ohio’s Winter Weather
An Ohio winter, while beautiful, tends to present a homeowner with a lot of challenges. When it comes to protecting your home from the worst of the weather, it’s all in the preparation. No one knows it better than the home service team at APCO, and today, we’d like to help you meet the season on the right foot by providing you with some exterior maintenance tips and services.
Looking to improve your home’s ability to take on the worst a winter can toss your way? Enlist the certified professionals at APCO to get top-class services like window installation, siding services, and preventative roofing care!
Preparing Your Home for the Winter Season
Winterizing your home can sometimes seem like a really frustrating task, but honestly, all it takes is a little knowledge! Start with these tips and you’ll be well on your way to handling the worst our winter has to give:
- Start with a thorough eyes-on. The first step to getting a job done right is to have a solid idea of what needs doing. Taking a good look over your roof for exposed or missing tile, your siding for cracks and signs of mold damage, and your window exteriors for weakened seals will help you formulate an effective plan!
- Trim away dangerous branches. Cold snaps and snow can be bad news for weak tree limbs, which can result in serious damage to your home. Take care to trim back or remove branches that extend over your roof, or over other important features of your home.
- Thoroughly check your gutters. Your gutters are going to be quite busy, and ensuring they can handle the load is a critical point. Check carefully for signs of rust in particular. If there’s any discoloration, use a safe rust removal system to get rid of it before it spreads. If it has already spread (an area larger than an inch), it’s probably time to consider replacement, as the issue will only worsen with dry air and snowy weather.
- Insulate exposed pipework. If you have any exposed plumbing, be sure to insulate it to avoid pipe bursts and ruptures when the cold settles in. This can be easily done with foam insulation tubes found at your local hardware store—or for a more surefire solution, you can look into heat tape.
- Carefully inspect doors. Take great care to thoroughly examine your exterior access doors. Any signs of seal damage should be caulked in at a minimum, and replaced for a better solution. If you have a stand alone door, you might also consider a storm door installation, which will help you gain a bit of energy-efficiency and help preserve your home’s warmth in the months to come.
Superior Exterior Solutions in Columbus, OH
Need the assistance of certified home service professionals to help you whip your home into shape? You can count on the experts at APCO to provide! We’ve been the name to know for superior service and quality in Ohio for years, and when it comes to door, window, roofing, and siding service, there’s no one better. You can contact us any time online to learn more, or to set a date for your professional service!
Sale Ends 3/31/2017